Thursday, October 19, 2006

Firefox


Tonight after work, I decided to run by Wild Oats on my way home. The sun was just setting as I drove west on Shawnee Mission Parkway and the sky was rich with pinks and purples and blues. Traffic was surprisingly light and I was in no hurry. It was the perfect moment for something magical to happen – and it did.

About 20 feet ahead of me I saw a red fox trot out into the road. I tapped my brakes along with the white car to my right. We were the only cars on the road and we both slowed to a crawl to watch this beautiful creature cross in front of us. The fox saw us shortly after we saw her, and she froze for just an instant, her face turned toward us and her body in perfect profile. She was stunningly striking. She picked up her pace and dashed across our lanes and into an empty wooded lot on the north side of the road. I watched her fluffy tail bob as she disappeared into the woods. I felt so lucky to have seen her.

As I rolled to a stop at the next light, I noticed the white car had slowed down to wait for me. As I pulled along side, I found the driver, a slight balding man in his mid-forties, grinning at me in happy wonder and amazement. “Wow!” he mouthed to me, his eyes sparkling. I gave him a thumbs up and shook my head, my own smile stretching from ear to ear.

I am not sure which made me happier – seeing that beautiful red fox or being able to share the experience with a complete stranger who was just as tickled by it as I was. Either way it was a strawberry moment. And I thank God for those.

No comments: