Monday, June 25, 2007

We Need to Talk


"We need to talk."

When I was single and dating, those were words I never wanted to hear. Generally they preceeded other conversation which included phrases like "It's not you, it's me" "I just need to figure some things out" "I need time alone" and my perennial favorite "I feel like you are one of my very best friends..."

Now that I am married "we need to talk" takes on a different tone, though no less ominous. These days it's more likely to signal a financial crisis conversation than anything else.

Today I heard the words from a customer. In writing. I've had a bad feeling for a couple of weeks, but nothing concrete to tie it to. When you've been doing this (lending money) for as long as I have, you start to develop a six sense about such things.

I read the email. A chill ran down my spine. I am pretty sure what's coming is a combination of both the dating and the marriage scenarios.

Damn it. This is the part of my job I really hate.

No comments: