Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Everybody Knows


I went to see the Leonard Cohen movie this evening, by myself, at the Tivoli. I left work right at 5:00 (something I never do and did tonight only with a dose of guilt) and made it to the theater in time for the 5:15 showing. The previews were already rolling as I made my way to my seat. I sat down in the anonymity of darkness and prepared to lose myself in the music and poetry of this singer/song writer.

And lose myself I did. I’d always liked Leonard Cohen, but admittedly knew very little about him or his career. I wasn’t sure what to expect from the movie, but had been intrigued enough by the feedback I’d heard at Sundance to make a point of seeing it. I wasn’t disappointed.

The movie is based around a 2005 musical tribute to the 76 year old Cohen by talents including U2, Rufus Wainwright, Linda Thompson, Nick Cave, Beth Orton and Antony. The movie alternates between brilliant guest performances of Cohen’s hauntingly worded songs, and stories, told by Cohen, that provide the backdrop against which the songs were originally written and recorded.

I was completely captivated by the quirky genius of the musicians who performed in tribute to Leonard Cohen. And with the opportunity to really listen to and absorb the poetry of Cohen’s lyrics, I felt as if my chest had been cracked open and my heart laid bare. The emotion of the music created an ache in me that was at once bone crushing and exhilarating. At several points during the film I realized I’d been holding my breath for what was surely several minutes. I completely gave myself over to the experience, and as the final credits began to roll, I found myself in stunned and silent awe.

As I left the theater, I locked eyes with a woman 15 years older than me. “Oh my God.” she breathed in amazement. “I know,” I answered. And there was nothing more for either of us to say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's nothing more to say - everybody knows.