Sunday, November 26, 2006

Two Muses

What a day. I’ve spent the last 8 hours in my pajamas with my computer on my lap running numbers, playing with projections and writing a proposal for the redevelopment plan for the building Sam and I are buying. And I’m still not done. I love this kind of work, it doesn’t really even feel like work, but man does it take a chunk of time. I’ve worked with real estate developers (as a lender) for years and thought I had a fair understanding of how the world of real estate development worked, but instead I find myself feeling as if I am drinking from a fire hose of knowledge and trying to fit it all together feels like playing a 1000 piece puzzle.

I finally took a break to see “Shut Up & Sing” – the new documentary about the Dixie Chicks and their slam at President Bush on the eve of the Iraq war. It was a great film, and I for one will be buying the new “Taking the Long Way” CD in support of the band’s courage and willingness to stand their ground in the face of strong opposition from their country music fan base. Natalie is one very strong woman and damn I admire her fiestiness.

I am sitting in the Westport Coffee Shop now, waiting for movie #2 to begin, and thinking about how my two muses have both been whispering in my ear today. One is soothing me with numbers and spreadsheets as I work through the puzzle of our building. I know that must seem weird, but I really can so easily lose myself in numbers. The other is urging me to hit the road. Sam and Katherine are out of town for the next two days and I am overcome with the desire to move to India, study in an Ashram and grow my own food. Of course I would want to be back home before they return tomorrow night, so I guess it’s out of the question for now. How shall I reconcile these two halves?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What if you ate Indian food in the parking lot of the new building?

Julie said...

That's it! Perfect!