Monday, September 18, 2006

Piss & Vinegar (or Giving a Black Mood its Due)

I reached way down low and pulled myself up out of the funk I was in on Sunday. Whew. I am feeling much better now, thank you.

I came perilously close to “snapping out of it” prematurely on Sunday morning. The three of us were sitting at the table eating a late breakfast when Sam turned his laptop around so Katherine could read my post.

As she began, Sam, being ornery, leaned down so he was staring at her over the top of the computer. He fixed his eyes on her and began to hum a tune.

“Dad, please be quiet!” she scolded.

Sam changed tactics and began whistling. Katherine looked up in exasperation.

“Dad! This is a deep, dark, depressing post. I would appreciate it if you would neither hum nor whistle. Now please be QUIET!”

(Now that’s my girl! Giving a black mood its due!) Sam went silent but continued to stare.

Katherine finished, looked at me and said “That’s good”, then without missing a beat looked at Sam and zinged him with “and what IS your PROBLEM?”

Maybe you had to be there, but she said it with such piss and vinegar that I nearly fell off my chair from laughing so hard. It was all I could do to regain my “black mood” composure.

That girl – she’s a pistol alright. Woe to anyone who gets in her way. And that makes me mighty proud!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Her comments had just the right attitude. Not over the top, not irritated, just direct and biting. A trait that will serve her well.

Anonymous said...

Cripes! What tune was Sam humming? Can't be i na black mood with happy-go-lucky tunes being hummed. You just can't. Now that you're out of your mood, can you come over? (Maybe leave Roo at home for the time being...)