Tuesday, March 21, 2006

A Losing Battle

You know that feeling you have when you think you're fighting a losing battle? I have a friend, and she is between a rock and a hard place. And she’s been fighting like hell to gain some ground, but she doesn’t feel like she’s making any headway. And it’s wearing her out. She’s getting tired of fighting. And who could blame her?

Not me.

So today she told me she’s ready to throw in the towel. I pleaded with her to keep trying. I reminded her of all the reasons why the fight was a good one. I assured her that the battle was sure to get easier. I told her I didn’t want her to quit. And she said yeah, but she really was tired.

And I understand that. Of course I do. But it’s scary. I don’t want her to give up. I don’t want her to go.

I am full of encouragement for her. I do everything I can to make sure her glass is half full. But how do you know when enough is enough? For her? For me? When is it ok to say – “It's over?”

We’re about to find out, she and I.

No comments: