Friday, March 17, 2006

Strawberry Sleep

I am sitting on the bed in our Hampton Inn hotel room in Flagstaff, Arizona, having spent the last 6 hours learning all there was to know about Northern Arizona University as a potential college destination for Katherine.

It’s late afternoon and I am the only one of the 3 of us that is awake. Katherine is in the bed next to me, with the pillow over her head, snoring softly. Sam is in the other bed, pillow under his head, snoring loudly. Their snores are just opposite each other. Sam’s loud snore is followed by Katherine’s soft one, and then back again. Its like wearing stereo headphones programmed with the sounds of a sleep lab. And it’s cute. It’s really, really cute.

My friend Carrie often talks about strawberry moments, those moments when the stars align and things are so perfect you hold your breath for fear of disturbing it.

As I sit here listening to the sleep sounds of the two people I love the most, I realize this is a strawberry moment. But I don’t hold my breath. Instead I take long, deep gulps of air, filling every cell in my body with oxygen, and savor the moments until they wake up.

No comments: